About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

D is for Diener Industries

These little fellows (well not that little at 50mm) are made of a still uncommon - but becoming more common - material; Silicon Rubber. When I first saw them nestling in the bottom of a large tub of quality crap at a car boot sale I assumed they would be Pencil Toppers, something I also collect, however they have no hole! So they are probably 'Pocket Money' toys or Christmas Cracker novelties.

They are all marked on the back (C) Diener Ind and carry a name on their tummy; Brack (blue); Dard (orange); Zama, the pink one. They may be characters from a cartoon or comic strip, any ideas?

For those who like a little left-field gaming they would make nice adversarys for a 1950's pulp wargame using say...Roco Minitanks and their US Soldiers Combat Group. Diener also do a range of fictional dragons/dinosaurs in a more conventional PVC vinyl rubber and a smaller size/scale.

Turned-out they were meant to be erasers and are part of a larger set, silicon makes crap eraser material, and like other Diener products they only smudge pecil!

4 comments:

Zira said...

I almost have the whole set!

Hugh Walter said...

Hi Zira, happy for you, if you'd like to send us a picture, or a complete list, that would be lovely!

H

Lee said...

HAHA - Awesome!
No one ever responds to my nerdy comments.
The Gray and Brown ones are hard to find.

Hugh Walter said...

I try to respond to everyone, Lee! And yes, I've noticed that too, with the fantasy and dinosaur sets as well, probably another, maybe earlier tranche? There are also unmarked Dino's which must have been contract manufactured for a third-party?

H