About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

N is for Nativity

I have lots of non-toy soldier related figures in my collection, among which is a large number of religious/Christmas themed figures. Most are still unpacked and will have to wait until next year, however I have picked up a few in the last two years which are accessible, and are presented here as my attempt at a seasonal post!

This set is complete - as far as I can tell - having all the elements, Mary, Joseph, the little baby Jesus, 3 kings an Angel and a Shepard and the donkey (Mk 1, son of god, transportation, for the use of). This set is probably Hong Kong, but may well be Italian.

Definitely Hong Kong, I have the complete set in a box somewhere, with a little simplified stable, the box is green with gold scroll-work and the usual 'Made in Hong Kong', but hints at being Blue Box.

This little putti is probably from a larger scale set, in the larger scales there are loads of Nativity sets, Marx produced a fine set in the US, and the Marx subsidiary in Germany produced an even bigger set of Biblical figures in the style of the US Presidents. In Italy companies like Fontanini have produced a vast number of sets over the years in many sizes for the non-toy soldier market.

No comments: