About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Z is for Zulus

And other African warriors. Not actually much covered outside metal war gaming figures. Most of the early British plastics producers had a set of 'African Warriors' and Esci produced a reasonable set I'll probably cover another day, but I thought I'd look at what we have vintage wise.

These are 15, 20 and 25mm figures by (from left to right) Stadden, Hinton Hunt (I think, there's a HH mark on the base and it's his style) and God knows, in fact who cares, stumpy little scaled down 28mm Ork!!

Two 40mm Hong Kong or possibly minor European maker and a HK copy of the Lone Star African warrior in 35mm.

Marx African exploration set, this is a late set in the 'Battleground' style box, with soft polythene parts. The contents of these sets vary as there were more poses than the bean counters would allow in a single set. Most of the accessories are standard, but the pile of boxes in the centre is unusual and may be unique to this set (Unlikely though, Marx would throw anything in anyset!!).

Kinder have also marketed some nice African/Zulu warriors in a swoppet style, produced by Res Plastic (RP) in 54mm. I have them somewhere and will post them one day, when I find them!!

4 comments:

FIXED BAYONET METAL SOLDIERS said...

Thesec are really nice.I like your blog.How do I link you I forgot.

Hugh Walter said...

The easiest way is to go to 'Create Post', click on 'Layout' then click on 'Add Gadget' and scoll down the menu box untill you find 'Link List' or 'Blog List'.

If you want to add non-blog pages and blog pages together choose 'Link List', if you want to create a list of Blogs, click on 'Blog List'.

I've done both, on the linklist I can link to anything, on the bloglist I can link to blogs, with the option of adding more whenever I want to. I also chose the update option, which means the most recently updated moves to the top of the list.

Thanks for the kind words.

Gisby said...

15mm isn't my normal stomping ground, but I was sure I knew the style from Warrior Miniatures: Sure enough, A Gallia 15mm Zulu

MC79 Zulu, Full Dress, throwing Assegaii

http://www.warrioronline.demon.co.uk/gallia/galliacolonial.htm

Hugh Walter said...

The stumpy-little ork has provenance? Well...I'll be...

Thanks Gisby, you are going 'beyond the cal'l with all this research!

H