About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Q is for Quaker Oats Breakfast Cereals

This has been imported from 'Boring Blog' (which I will close down) and may have images or other text added in the future.

Quaker Oats
The U.K. arm of this multi-national carried two lots of 1:76 scale figures in the 1970’s, both sets were issued in 'Sugar Puffs' and possibly 'Oat Crispies' (Now called 'Oat Crisp'), and in the case of the Gladiators; have been falsely attributed to Kellogg’s and Nabisco Foods. Dates are unknown; exact contents of each promotion are also unknown - memory serves that the Gladiators were issued as two foot or one mounted, see entry below for thoughts on the Airfix combat troops.
Gladiators
Possibly made by Hilco’s plastics division (or late Cherilea who ended up with the Hilco moulds), going purely on the plastic colours used. These are uncommon and command a premium when encountered. The excess stock (or moulds) seem to have ended up with Tom Smith who carried them for several years, my own memories are of single figures coming in Christmas crackers around 1974/5
- 5 x Foot figure poses (some of which make good Roman soldiers, particularly from the end of empire era)
- 3 x Mounted figure poses (one of which is suitable for use as a republican Roman)
- 1 x Hollow horse similar in construction to Hong Kong horses but are of a unique design.
British Infantry
These are supplied by Airfix and consist of an unknown number of ‘Combat Group’ (probably a sprue, or a sprues worth?). See Airfix for further details.

No comments: