About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

S is for Ships (and other vessels); Part 3 - Common or garden!

This set/range is by far the commonest of the Hong Kong stuff, not least because being made of polyethylene is relatively indestructible, albeit; prone to losing the small parts that plug-in.

Limited to five vessels which will be copies of something better issued previously in the West (Tri-ang Minic?) the range included two liners; one large and converted into a hospital-ship with a crude cross carved into the mould, the other small; a carrier with various aircraft and two warships; one battleship/cruiser type thing and a smaller vessel.

Two more carded sets, these all have copies of the old Monogram/Revell GI's, and a couple have the mini-truck copies of Dinky's Humber 1-t0n. Sizes are;

Carrier - 18cm
Battleship/Cruiser - 14cm
Hospital Ship - 14cm
Small Liner - 11cm
Frigate/Destroyer - 92mm

They are about the size of the Airfix waterline series, or at least the small fighting vessel looks a bit like my memories of a Tribal Class Destroyer twin-pack I once made a complete mess of!

Some close-ups of the various vessels abroad, the green is usually reserved for the carrier, but as you can see a green Frigate/destroyer has turned up. Also the silver varies from a pale grey through to a gun-metal colour.

No comments: