About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

T is for Tootsie Toy

You can almost count the number of die-cast 'mazak' (EU = 'zamak'!) aluminium/tin alloy figures made in small scale on the fingers of one hand: there are the mid-late period Dinky sets of Tank Corp's, Artillery and Vehicle Drivers/Passengers (25/30mm), then there are the Monogram 'Pocket Force' sets (straight 25mm), the Wardie/Mastermodels figures (20-23mm), a set of railway passengers and staff by Merten (30mm/O Gauge) and...er...[racks his brain to remember the others], there are a few, so 'almost' one hand is about right!

And then there is this little lovely!...

Tootsie-Toys from the Disharmonious States (have you not read some of the post-election stuff?) produced this Fire Engine/Fire Appliance/Fire Truck (depending on where you are!), and while in the hollow style of a slush-cast vehicle of the same period, it is in fact a die-cast alloy, as are the two little figures. I say "little" they are about 28mm, with the vehicle scaled somewhere between 1:48 and 1:60.

No comments: