About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, May 1, 2014

L is for 'Like Britains'

An interesting little thing this, Spear's Games take on the old BBC TV program; One Man and his Dog, imaginatively retitled One Shepherd and....!

The contents look - at first glance - to be Britains, but are in fact not, probably Hong Kong in origin, they are not marked as such, so there is the possibility that they were sourced from a UK maker with easy morals?

The fences are marked, J&L R, which is - of course - Merit...who were not above a bit of piracy! That's it, box ticked, pictures filed...

2 comments:

Bernard Taylor said...

Merit had a very similar figure in their 4mm scale Farmworkers set (ref:5115). The others look very much like the Britains 1/32nd figures too: http://www.vintagemodeltrains.biz/contents/media/l_merit1131007.jpg

Hugh Walter said...

Hi Bernard

Yes, them and Marx both copied the Herald figures, their (Merit's) dogs were different though and the sheep were a bit two dimensional (more like the Lilliput sheep?), but my hint is that they (in this set) were probably by/from Merit, as the fences are?

Cheers
H