About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, October 6, 2014

I is for Imposters

I think these are Fontanini, or at least I think the pair on the left are Fontanini, the two on the right are the titular 'Imposters'! Fontanini are an Italian company aiming at the Tourist keepsake market with figures in various sizes, taken from various subjects.

What's unusual about these copies is that while the originals are solids (in polyethylene) with a separate base, the doppelgängers are blow-mouldings with an integral 'rock' for a base! These figures are between 5 and 6 inches in height, a bit academic when the bases are so different, the swordsman smaller and the copies are also pantographed a little smaller, but I'm calling them 5 inch!

I only think they're Fontanini as they are missing the 'Italy' mark and spider logo commonly seen on this makers figures/bases. They are also likely (the originals) to turn-up with more ornate 'rococo' bases and I've seen other Fontanini figures with chinoiserie bases, always in that plain-chocolate brown plastic.

No comments: