About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Sunday, November 30, 2014

News, Views Etc...Plastic Warrior 156 (at last...I'm hopeless!)

I've managed to procrastinate for so long in doing this review a new issue is probably due, but there's been real-life stuff recently. Still - there's no reason for my not having done it a couple of months ago?!!

Still available as a back issue though; last [quarter's] magazine featured;

* Supreme / SP Napoleonics reviewed and compared with existing figures by Ashley Needham.
* Brain Carrick studies the casein-based 'Ivorene' composition history and figures.
* OWN (Overall War Nation)  production is looked at by PW's guest reporter Paul 'Stads' Stadinger.
* Lone Star provides its RAC roadside service set and figures for inspection
* Large scale cowboys from Tudor Rose courtesy of Joe Bellis.
* Daniel Morgan's 'Notes and Queries' on Herald continues with the Highland figures (real eye-candy!).
* 'What's New' includes... 
  • Replicants - Mounted medievals
  • Publius - Figures for the Battle of Pipus Lake
  • Armies in Plastic (AIP) - Loads for military elephants of the colonial period (for the supplied Schlicht elephant)
  • Emhar - WWI American Infantry (I don't have much to do with new production but these look really nice)
* Part 3 of Andreas Dittmann's overview of Linde production reaches the Karl May cowboy figures
*Alwyn Brice continues with 40mm Elastolin...who knew!
* My favourite this month - Peter Evans looks at Tim-mee clowns (which I've spent the last two months looking out for on feeBay with no luck, as I have some HK copies to compare!)
* Editorial update on Cherilea-Marx-Tibidabo spacemen.
* Reader's Letters  packs an awful lot into three pages;
  • Some know-it-all's sent in some Khaki Infantry stuff!
  • Mathias Berthoux has contributed a timely letter on Publius to complement the above article, and ID's a Salza figure from a previous issue (which might have a connection with JSF)
  • P.L. Cunha reviews his recent purchase of A Call to Arms Normans
  • Andrew Pearce make an interesting point on Vietnam War figures
  • Thoughts on figure production with war gaming in mind from Fred Barrett
  • Notes on the PW show from Fred, Peter Spackman and Chris Owen
  • Antipodean feedback from James Peter Young
* Plus all the usual small-ads, news and views and some fine compositions from Andreas Dittmann (any HW's?)
* Cover images this issue are a shot of the PW compositions and a shot of the Battle of Lewes using Replicants figures from Peter Cole with a scratch-built Windmill by Daniel Morgan

All continuing to be presented in perfect technicolourfulness!

2 comments:

Mike Niederman said...

eBay seller the300spartans had Tim-Mee circus figures last month. He's an all-plastics guy, mostly Marx, but lots of other vintage makes.
BTW I tried sending an email and a couple of pictures to the address on your blog, and it bounced. Is it still active?

Hugh Walter said...

Hi Mike...I'm not looking that hard! More being conversational, and I need to find the clip-on candle-holders for the Hong Kong ones first, so it's an 'on-going'!

I've just had this to my eMail, so it should work and contributions always welcome....

maverickatlarge[@]hotmail[.]com

(drop the square brackets!) H