About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Saturday, December 24, 2016

D is for Double-Death-Dealing Derringer!



Except, because this is Christmas, the only thing this Derringer deals-out is clarity on a dark situation!

From Brian Berke, and with the photographs telling the whole story; very much a guest-post - at which I'll take the opportunity to thank Brian for all the effort he's devoted to the blog this year, both in photographic contributions, donations to the 'master-collection' and information, background stories and . . . and . . . enjoy -






A few points raised by the images . . . I'm guessing the light shines every time you press the trigger, so blasting red-light at your nemesis!

Previously unknown (to me) Hong Kong brand MT (M'something Toys?) with a design registered in the UK and the toy on sale in the US, not an uncommon situation in the late 1950's what with HK being a UK colony and the US toy guys still quite entrenched in using the services of toy makers in 'occupied' Japan. A further confusion being that 'MT' is also a brand-mark of the - predominantly tin-plate manufacturer - Masudaya, who ARE Japanese but have a very different logo, so I don't think there's any real connection.

Power-switch disguised as a safety-lever (did Derringers have one, I doubt it! Later models perhaps?), nice touch with the matching plastic 'screw' on the pistol-grip and a bullet-charm - for the hell of it! Quality piece of festive nostalgia; did you have one under the tree once?

Reminds me of my favourite Giles cartoon, the 'Family' including Granny are creating the usual mayhem in a department store's toy department - I can't remember the punch line. But - in the background are three, large, free-standing, boxes next to the counter; one says 'Merry Festive Stuffed Toys' and is full of bears, giraffes and the like, the next is labeled 'Merry Festive Ray-Guns; and is stuffed with Jonny-Seven One-Man-Army lookie-like'ies, Tommy-guns and Space-weapons, while the third has a sign saying 'Merry Festive Stuffed Toys with Ray Guns' and is full of heavily-armed soft-toys, looking like a platoon of plush-Rambos!

Happy Christmas all! [Yeah; even the Penn-State Toy-Soldier Mafia!]

No comments: