About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Saturday, December 16, 2017

F is for Five Festive Felines

Actually there are, as you will see; six, but one of them is real so doesn't get counted in the title . . . which needed to be alliterative or there was no point in it!

Spot the bar of posh, imported, scented, craft soap . . .

. . . and the cat! This is definitely a polymer, but I haven't the faintest idea what type or how it's done. The base looks like a sanded resin figure, except there is no sign of the marbling whatsoever, and the feel of the plastic is more like polyethylene. There is a small ZEN mark near the base

Also, if you look at the marbling it has the same fault-lines running through it as the old oil-on-water marbling of ancient tome's end-papers or page-edges. This shouldn't be possible if the marbling is formed by two colours being injected as a mix, as they would string and swirl in the fashion we know from old toys? Or the spurious bar of Thai soap above!

Therefore, however hard it is to believe - and I can only guess at the techniques involved - it would appear that a single colour moulding has been rolled or dipped in a polymer 'float' which has been kept molten, or soft-enough, for long enough to add the fault-lines, probably with wires - as you would with the oil-on-water method of yore?

It's large; about 60mm, and clearly some kind of art or craft piece pretending to be an actual marble mantle-ornament type thing, and will go with the miscellaneous cats, I'll Google it when I upload the article and if I find anything the link will appear . . . here! Nothing! The choice of Zen as a mark not helping; pages of cat Buddha's!

Tom (of the music Blog) sent me these back in the summer, I'm pretty sure it's the same Midori that we know/remember as KSN-Midori (Sakai / Riko) from their clip-together AFV's and space toys back in the 1970's, which had kinetic flywheel push-and-go motors you could cut your fingers open-on; folding-back the mounting tabs!

Tom posed them with an Airfix Multipose 'Tommy' who looks less than pleased to be sharing his patrol duty with four well-fed felines! As Tom put it; "perhaps he’s allergic to cat fur"!

I'm not sure where the magnets are; they look to be fully-round sculpting, so not yer'average fridge magnets? Maybe they push and pull themselves around like the old novelty magnetic cars, Scottie-dogs or kissing couples of yesteryear's joke shops?

I've tried finding them on t'Internet with no luck, so you'll have to pop-over to Japan or Australia if you want some!

Meanwhile I've been waiting ages to have an excuse to use these which Brian Berke sent to the blog back in February, a New York store-cat who knows exactly which Very Important Place to guard!

Talk & Train two-way wireless??? . . . "Calling all cats, calling all cats..."

What's interesting is that 'over-here' on the other side of the pond we call the Temptations shown above 'Dreamies', our Temptations are twice the size of Dreamies and come in Felix-logo cat head shaped, pink tubs!

Would I lie to you - it's like crack for cats! I was hoping to shoot the cat-head Felix tub, but we're out!

No comments: